Ultra-Silent Stepper Motor Driver with Step/Direction - TMC2226 - Trinamic
May 11, 2020
Suited for stepper motors of 5…29V up to 2.8A (peak), the TMC2226 combines world’s best stepper motor driver technology with simple step/dir interface for ease of use.
TRINAMIC Motion Control GmbH & Co. KG announces their latest stepper motor driver for 2-phase bipolar stepper motors. Programmable via UART and featuring some of Trinamic’s latest-generation technologies, the highly dynamic stepper driver is ideal for design upgrades with compatible drivers.
Ensuring noiseless operation with StealthChop2, the chip enables smooth and silent stepper motors with for everyday use. At the same time, the sophisticated chopper increases efficiency and motor torque compared with normal choppers. Once tuned, Engineers can simply store the settings on the OTP memory and use it for standalone motion thanks to the internal pulse generator. This makes the TMC2226 an effective and cost-efficient solution for printers and POS devices, office and home automation, textile, security, ATMs and cash recyclers, as well as battery-operated equipment.
Besides StealthChop2, the chip features StallGuard4 for sensorless load- and stall detection, CoolStep to minimize energy consumption, and SpreadCycle to keep noise and vibrations at a minimum while driving the motor at higher speeds. Furthermore, the low RDSon and automatic power down increase energy-efficiency, making it one cool step/direction driver with appealing simplicity.
The TMC2226 comes in a thermally optimized HTSSOP28 package (9.7x6.4mm) for optical inspection, has full protection and diagnostics and offers an internal sense resistor option.
Features and Benefits
- 2-phase stepper motors up to 2.8A coil current (peak), 2A RMS
- Voltage Range 4.75… 29V DC
- STEP/DIR Interface with 8, 16, 32 or 64 microstep pin setting
- Single Wire UART & OTP for advanced configuration options
- Smooth Running 256 microsteps by MicroPlyer™ interpolation
- StealthChop2™, SpreadCycle™, StallGuard4™, and CoolStep™
- Low RDSon, Low Heat-Up LS 170mΩ & HS 170mΩ (typ. at 25°C)
- Low Power Standby to fit standby energy regulations
- Internal Sense Resistor option (no sense resistors required)
- Passive Braking, Freewheeling, and automatic power down
- Integrated Pulse Generator for standalone motion
- Full Protection & Diagnostics
- Thermally optimized HTSSOP package for optical inspection
Step/direction still is the most common interface used by existing motion controllers to communicate with stepper motor drivers. With the TMC2226 stepper driver IC, Engineers can easily upgrade existing designs or develop new applications without leaving the S/D interface. Programming and tuning the chip happens via UART, making it a user-friendly stepper motor driver IC with all the benefits of the latest technologies that simplifies system development and reduces overhead-cost.